It’s that time of year again friends – crafty kids time! I’ve got a couple to show you today, for a couple of different age ranges.
First up is our reindeer, inspired by my friend Krista. This is great fun for the older kids who can help each other trace out their hands and forearms and then cut them out. For the younger ones you’ll have to do the cutting and assembling but they think it’s funny when you tickle them by tracing!
I used black construction paper for the “antlers” and made sure to trace their forearms so we have room to stick them onto the head:
The face was just brown construction paper cut into a wonky oval shape:
Add some googly eyes, a glitter nose, and a mouth and you’re done!
We also made snowmen. I bought a bunch of styrofoam cups for Halloween a couple of years ago to make ghosts and I thought they would be great for snowmen too!
For Heidi, who’s two and a little bit impatient :) I simply drew a line around the top of the cup and told her to colour it in for his hat (she picked out all the colours):
she we added eyes, a nose, and a mouth to call him good (I poked a hole in the top of the cup to thread string so we could hang him).
For the older kids, I strung three cups together, separating them with buttons tied on the string to hold them apart.
They added the hat to the top cup, then eyes, nose, mouth, arms, and buttons.
Isn’t he fun? He wiggles around when a breeze hits him, lol! This happens to be the prototype that I made with glitter glue so you can see that you can really add all sorts of fun stuff if you feel so inclined – my two added real buttons down his front! It just occurred to me that you could colour the lip of the top cup to make a scarf too.
Anyone else out there making crafts this Christmas? Link me up – I’m running out of ideas!
I love Halloween. Love. It.
I love Christmas more but don’t like the crafting aspect as much – weird.
There’s just something about making ghosts and bats and spiders that makes me happy so the other day we made some creepy crawlies while the kiddos had a Professional Development Day off school.
See how happy Molly is about getting her picture taken? Haha!
Here’s the three of ours together (Poppy had already taken hers home):
I went with regular googly eyes but the kids wanted coloured ones, of course! I’ve almost run out of my round coloured eyes but found some oval ones the other day (for you local peeps who have been asking, I found them at the dollar store in Mount Pearl!) and I think they look pretty awesome! We obviously used egg cartons, black paint, and googly eyes. For the wings I had some sticky back felt but paper would work just as well.
We also made spiders but I only have a picture of mine:
Another 12 on Twelve! Before you start I should forewarn you of baby overload – my best friend had a baby on the 12th and my brother is home with his new baby. Enjoy! And to all my fellow Canadians – I hope you had a great Thanksgiving weekend full of food, family, friends, and good times.
1. Playing games on Daddy’s iPad.
2. Morning drive home through Terra Nova Park from Central Newfoundland.
3. Porch selfie.
4. Sweet Baby James! He’s only about 15 hours old. :)
5. Happy parents.
6. Old friends, new baby.
7. Baby Maya is home for a visit!
8. Molly loves her new cousin.
9. Harvest bread for Thanksgiving dinner.
10. Birthday cake!
11. Laundry time…
12. My bed buddy.
Another month, another 12 on Twelve – but this time my Nikon is on the fritz so I took all the pics with my phone. Not sold on that process, my friends, I miss my camera!
1. early morning boot camp – let’s go!
2. waiting for his ride to school – he loves kindergarten
3. making Aunt Madeline’s Blueberry Buckle
4. kitchen dance party!
5. crazy Ella, she wouldn’t come in out of the rain, just sat there looking pathetic
6. play date in the dirt – they had sand everywhere!
7. home again and enjoying blueberry dessert before lunch
8. Mm worksheet
9. quiet time, for all of us!
10. craft time after school
11. finishing a canvas donation for The Sunshine Foundation silent auction
12. evening treat – Rocky Mountain Chocolate Company peanut butter cups and Reese’s Pieces caramel apple
1. The longest part of the morning – getting Molly to drink a cup of milk
2. Gabe building Legos – a super Chi warrior
3. It’s Valentine’s Day at Scamper Day Camp
4. porch selfie, of course
5. labeling all the new school supplies
6. snack time
7. Spiderman swimming goggles
8. Butterfly princess #1 – Miss Layla
9. printing quotes for my summer canvas class
10. drawing a picture – “Look mama, it’s me and you but I’m bigger.”
11. Butterfly princess #2 – Miss Molly
background: The kiddos are in the basement trying to get rid of a big creepy crawly bug of some kind…..
Gabe: I’m freaking out!
Molly: No, Gabe! You have to save us!
Gabe: But I’m really freaking out! (he sounds pretty excited to me. Just saying. :) )
Molly: You’re Gabe the Brave, you can do it!
(Gabe comes upstairs): I need socks and shoes.
Gabe (looking determined and thrilled): So I can squash it dead! Yeah! (insert fist pump here)
They’re a blood thirsty crew, my lot.
For the record, he squashed it dead *and* cleaned up the bug guts!
Almost every morning Molly and I have a fight about her hair. I want it up, or at least back in a hair band. She doesn’t want it brushed.
So imagine my surprise this morning when she declared that she wanted “Party Hair.”
What’s that, you say? Good question. It’s the same one I asked.
It turns out that “Party Hair” has one side up in a bun like a balloon and the other side left out like streamers.
I saw this all going terribly badly. However I forged ahead and, being the genius that I am, got it done. We had the bun/balloon on one side and for the “streamers” I twisted the other side up. It almost went downhill at that point but when I assured her that no one would ever let streamers just fall straight down, they always have to be twisted up to look more party-like, it was a go.
And here’s the final product – she was pleased as punch:
Now, to share a little something else with you all:
Haha! Just a fun little sneak of the Paperie June Card Kit – I went outside the box on this one, my friends!
And finally, WINNER!!!
P.S. Didn’t win the spot? You can sign up right here – it starts tomorrow!
1. Lego people – always a favourite around here (especially the pretzel girl – Molly says it’s her because she loves pretzels!).
2. selfie in the porch, as always.
3. more snow…… blerg.
4. getting photos ready for Keeping Track of Life with Krista.
5. drawing and writing by Gabe. He’s learning to draw hearts (he traced these) because Molly always draws hearts.
6. Miss Rosie
7. reading during nap time.
8. my nap time companion.
9. Molly made a snow
man woman – Precious Elizabeth. I kid you not.
10. math time. More blerg.
11. dot-to-dots, his favourite. Not sure why he’s colouring with a pencil but whatever.
12. Spark time – painting with a local artist tonight.